Thursday, September 3, 2009

Foosball, No Mas.

So I have been here for about two days now and seen more than I had planned. I arrived late on Tuesday night and had Denis (Hostal Owner) pick me up and take me to the hostel, located about 2 miles from the airport, which was not exactly a safe part of town. After losing to Denis in a game of Peruvian Foosball, I had to take a small shot of Pisco that had Pinguitas de Mono Chilis soaking in it (I will leave the translating up to you). This was the single hottest thing I had ever experienced. Within seconds of ingesting this firey cocktail I began to hick-up uncontrollably for at least 30 minutes. It was so bad I could taste it when I woke up in the morning. Sadly, I probaly only consumed 1/8th of an ounce.

Foosball table in Purix Hostel

The next morning I took a COMBI (small bus know fort its dagerous driving and people) From the airport area to Miraflores, the nicest part of town in Lima. When I told Denis that I was taking the COMBI, He looked at me like I was crazy, but I figured if it really dangerous he would have recommendation alternative transportation. Well, within 10 minutes on this ¨bus¨ we got into an accident. The collision was nothing major, but the amount of pontential for a full on total, was extremely high.

That night I met up with the Rickards family who has a daughter that I am friends with in Atlanta. They took me out and showed me everything about Lima. The most interesting part of the evening was learning that Peruvians claim to fame in the food space is ¨CHIFA,¨a Peruvian-Chinese Fusion. So, my first real meal in Peru was Chinese.... yeah I know, right? The whole family thought I was absolutely crazy for taking a Combi earlier in the day.



Dinner at Choy Tak Chifa in Lima




....amazing what 90 centes will get you in Peru.

4 comments:

  1. Love it, Tietz. Can't wait to hear more as your travels continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I get when I google Combi...

    http://americaninlima.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/042908-1810-crazycombic14.jpg

    Nice work E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. I'm starting combi in Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous that you got to meet Allison's family! Not so sure I'm jealous about that shot...

    ReplyDelete